[Greenbuilding] Steam Shower?

Doug Horgan Doug at bowa.com
Mon Jan 10 11:01:41 CST 2011

Gennaro,
Obviously, the actual steam process is the same efficiency-100% of the electricity is turned into heat as it flows through the element in the tank.
Since they are typically used for brief periods and not that frequently, my humble opinion is that various peripheral aspects (tank size, tank insulation if any, etc.) probably don't make much of a difference.
I do know there's a huge difference between to basic types though: one leaves the element off during periods of inactivity-as far as I know Steamist and Mr. Steam are of this type-but others leave the element on and keep the tank hot 24/7/365! I was shocked to find that out. Kohler steam generators are of this type.
There may be other standby losses that could add up, such as the watt draw of the controller. That would be a question for the manufacturer, or you could add an override hard switch that would completely cut power to the unit until the client is ready to use it.

Doug