[Greenbuilding] Steam Shower?

Keith Winston keith at earthsunenergy.com
Mon Jan 10 13:08:36 CST 2011

On 1/10/2011 12:01 PM, Doug Horgan wrote:
> Gennaro,
>
> Obviously, the actual steam process is the same efficiency—100% of the
> electricity is turned into heat as it flows through the element in the
> tank.
>
> Since they are typically used for brief periods and not that
> frequently, my humble opinion is that various peripheral aspects (tank
> size, tank insulation if any, etc.) probably don’t make much of a
> difference.
>
> I do know there’s a huge difference between to basic types though: one
> leaves the element off during periods of inactivity—as far as I know
> Steamist and Mr. Steam are of this type—but others leave the element on
> and keep the tank hot 24/7/365! I was shocked to find that out. Kohler
> steam generators are of this type.

I don't know how much water a steam shower takes, but I can imagine
that the power requirements would be somewhat reduced if you are
flashing a tank of hot water to steam vs. bringing cold water up to
temp. However, the difference is only moderate, since actually flashing
the water to steam takes 5-10 times more energy than heating the water
up to, say, 180. Kohler can't really keep the water hotter than that,
I'd assume, or else they'd be risking a steam explosion... Unless I'm
missing something here...