[Greenbuilding] That Natural Feeling

Gennaro Brooks-Church info at ecobrooklyn.com
Mon Jan 10 17:30:14 CST 2011

This list, like most of the world, is roughly separated along two
lines, those forward looking techies who value science and those
backward looking naturalists who value tradition.
In one camp you have the number crunching BTU types and in the other
camp you have the adobe plaster types.
I lean on the naturalist side. I figure if it worked for 2000 years
for a civilization then it is worth looking into. I am suspect of the
techies who use wunder science to try to support an unsupportable
lifestyle. For example, if every person on the planet built along PH
standards we would die off immediately. PH standards are for rich
Western construction and relies heavily on cheap materials from poor
underdeveloped countries, who by the way consume a LOT less energy per
household per year than PH requirements.

However, if every rich Western country built along PH standards we
would be WAY ahead of the game and it would be a HUGE improvement over
our current wasteful building. But it doesn't solve the issue for the
rest of the "developing world" (in parenthesis since that term implies
they are less evolved than us superior and more developed countries -
irony).

So for me the solution is to use PH for the time being as an
improvement to current western building. Just like LEED is an
improvement in some areas. But neither are valid long term solutions.

In answer to Corwyn, my personal metric is the self invented Zero
Brownstone Technique, which could be tweaked to any area but in my
case is very specific to North Western townhouse construction. There
is more on my site but is basically is zero waster during
deconstruction, zero new materials during construction, and zero
energy use in the final home. It is our goal. Right now the "right
amount" of insulation based on this metric for a brownstone is about 6
inches of polyiso, which by the way is a little more than what our PH
building calls for that we are doing. That was a nice confirmation
that my "hunch" was on the right track of the one of the best metrics
out there right now.

Gennaro Brooks-Church

Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA
www.EcoBrooklyn.com