[Greenbuilding] sludge

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Wed Jan 12 14:27:47 CST 2011

<You can't find balance until you know what the extremes are and the
naturalist/techie duality are two of life's extremes. Also some people
naturally lean towards one, the other or neither or both. David and
Corwyn you may claim you are zen enough to be at peace with the yin
and yang of life or maybe you naturally lean towards the center but I
have seen enough heated discussions between the techie geeks and the
naturalists to know that these two views exist. Obviously most people
dip into whatever camp is needed at the time but my point is that it
is important to acknowledge that people naturally lean to a certain
tendency.
If you throw everyone into the melting pot you get sludge.>

it's my observation that green strategies tend to reinforce each other, and
that when done right, blur lines between the natural and manmade world.  A
green roof reduces cooling load, but has myriad ecological benefits to the
watershed, the atmosphere, heat island effect, and so on.  Greenbuilding,
reduced to its essence, is a direct response to nature.  Some projects
(particularly in the realm of remodeling) lend themselves to different
emphasis, and we all have our unique mix of yin and yang, but I think the
mix can be a a rich and hearty stew, and not necessarily sludge.

AA

*Alan Abrams**
Abrams Design Build LLC*
*A sustainable approach to beautiful space*
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com
*202-726-5894 o
202-437-8583 c