[Greenbuilding] Aggressively Passive: Building Homes to the Passive House Standard

Gordon Scale schoolhouse at live.ca
Wed Jan 12 17:04:27 CST 2011

On 11 Jan. Prof. Straube wrote:
' Energy Star version 3 will
        simply penalize people for every square foot over 2200 (the
        average)'
John, having spent nearly 25 years in urban transportation planning, I believe that primarily as a result of: (1) 'use' restrictions in urban landuse bylaws, and (2) the marketing hype of the 'planned residential neighbourhood' there is too much focus on the 'residential' housing unit.
 From an overall energy perspective, can we not take this opportunity to help turn this around.  Somehow I believe new standards of measurement should try to foster benefits to those considering housing with home based businesses of substance.  The resulting energy benefits in transportation energy are considerable, especially if married with compact urban form.
I see no reason to penalize a somewhat larger than average home - if it includes a reasonably sized retail, professional or service use.  Food for thought when striving for practical energy standards for new housing and infill/renovations.
Gord Scale