[Greenbuilding] Aggressively Passive: Building Homes to the Passive House Standard

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 19:28:42 CST 2011

I think it should be obvious that the IDEA of not penalized, in fact, encouraging, stay at home work arrangements, even if it is easy to forget this in a detailed discussion.
The issue of transportation is really what this is about.
However, in housing standards like PH, Energy Star, LEED R2000, etc. it is really tough to come up with workable rules.  We should try though.
For example, there should be exemptions to make it easier for homes built or converted near high density urban centers (although rural folks will scream).
It is also not clear that adding a den to home will result in fewer commutes, although it does make it possible to conveniently working at home.

On 2011-01-12, at 6:04 PM, Gordon Scale wrote:

>  From an overall energy perspective, can we not take this opportunity to help
> turn this around.  Somehow I believe new standards of measurement should
> try to foster benefits to those considering housing with home based businesses
> of substance.  The resulting energy benefits in transportation energy are
> considerable, especially if married with compact urban form.
>
> I see no reason to penalize a somewhat larger than average home - if it includes
> a reasonably sized retail, professional or service use.  Food for thought when
> striving for practical energy standards for new housing and infill/renovations.

Dr John Straube, P.Eng.
Associate Professor
University of Waterloo
Dept of Civil Eng. & School of Architecture
www.buildingscience.com