[Greenbuilding] Greenbuilding Digest, Vol 5, Issue 17

Frank Cetera alchemicalfranklen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 09:28:49 CST 2011

Nick, I checked out the Sunfrost shower design on the website.  What I'd
like to get my head around, coming from the more naturalist camp, is how to
design a wall with natural materials for a shower.  My building design
knowledge set is not very developed, though I have some of the skills to put
the pieces together once I understand how.  Learning natural building like
anything takes experience which I am trying to develop, but for now I would
ask anyone for some advice on how to make walls for a shower without using
plastic or fiberglass or the like.  Can anyone point me to a design for a
shower wall using natural building materials?

If I were to use ceramic tile, what would I put underneath for the structure
or the thermal mass for instance?  Could I use a wooden frame for a surround
shower with simple tiles over top?  Would all contemporary shower designs
require some sort of manufactured product to prevent water leakage to abide
by codes?

~Frank