[Greenbuilding] Greenbuilding Digest, Vol 5, Issue 18

Stephen Collette stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
Thu Jan 13 14:07:36 CST 2011

Hello Frank and all,

I would look into magnesium oxide board as a backerboard. It's neat stuff, which is pretty strong, doesn't have paper, typically has a smooth and rough side, so one for mortar and one for wallboard, can't grow mould and is pretty easy to use. You could use bentonite maybe for joints, if you wanted to go to extremes when putting it together, and even coat the whole thing in bentonite maybe. I'm not sure how the mortar would hold to bentonite, but I suspect it would be ok, that said, it might suck the water out of the mortar. Hmm. Now this line of thinking, has me thinking.

If you don't want plastic you could use a metal pan as an alternative. But properly installed tile will last a long time. Improperly installed tile makes for soggy bits behind the wall. I see that heaps and heaps.

Stephen

Stephen Collette BBEC, LEED AP, BSSO
Your Healthy House - Indoor Environmental Testing & Building Consulting
http://www.yourhealthyhouse.ca
stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
705.652.5159