[Greenbuilding] Nansulate Insulation

Steve steve at greengeek.ca
Fri Jan 21 21:32:58 CST 2011

Hi Eli,

> http://www.nansulate.com/nansulate_homeprotect_clearcoat.htm
>
> Is this stuff legitamate or snake oil?

I've looked into several similar products over the last few years,
invariably none of them were any more effective at insulating than a
clay-based paint. I have no experience with this particular product,
but based on similar ones I've seen, I'd lean towards snake oil. I
hope I'm wrong about one of these products eventually though, as
paint-on insulation would be very beneficial!

The closest I've seen to a thin insulation that have proven results
are aerogel-based products:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel
http://inhabitat.com/exciting-advances-in-insulation-with-aerogel/
http://www.aerogel.com/