[Greenbuilding] Nansulate Insulation

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 23 10:16:00 CST 2011

When I was a kid I made money dismantling barns for the barnboard. I
remember it as old and tough - but relatively 'woodlike' beyond the scoured
surface.

Wood on average loses about a 1/4" a century - depends on density less for
hardwoods, more for softwoods. Initial weathering robs the surface of
various lignins leaving a relatively pure cellulose covering that is highly
uv resistant.

There are historical techniques of accelerating that process and creating an
even colouring for wood. Shou-sugi-ban is a Japanese technique of burning
(charring) the surface of the wood and polishing it. It is quite beautiful.
There are contemporary finishes that simply oxidize the surface to an even
grey (lifetime?).

The problem with shakes and shingles is that they typically require 1st
growth softwood material with fine grain structure. These are the forests we
are trying to preserve locally. They are also hard to reuse (other than as
kindling). I don't mind 2nd growth siding untreated(used as part of a 100
mile diet)as it does have a long life. I prefer board and batten but current
rainscreen code requirements make this difficult to do.

Best
John

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN
4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7
PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541
terrain at shaw.ca