[Greenbuilding] Nansulate Insulation and our solution to theecological problem

elitalking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Tue Jan 25 09:34:20 CST 2011

Gennaro Brooks-Church wrote:
I think we need to veer significantly more in the direction of cultural and natural related issues to solve our ecological issues.

Clarke Olsen wrote:
I don't see science as the enemy of ecology, rather it's our rejection of science that will hasten our end.
Not the science of gadgets, of which everyone has a favorite, from photovoltaics to AK-47's, but the more
demanding science of seeking to understand the reality of our universe.

My comment:
I frankly believe that the solutions to our resource dilemma that is threatening our ecology is more likely to come from the third world where people look up to subsistence than from our culture where we look down on subsistence.  As professional designers and builders, we are expected to achieve a level of opulent comfort and size without the participation of the occupant.  This is what moves us to the techie approach.  However, life in the environment is a cycle.  Beyond shelter, the key to survival is to find a way to be in that cycle.  It is not permanent.  We are not permanent.  Transportation, settlement patterns, food production methods are huge components of sustainability.  Entertainment is in the mix, also.  Finding the solutions that allow us to not deplete resources that can not be replaced will move us to more natural social cultural solutions.  Technology alone will not do it. Technology is the application of science, not the science itself.

Thank you, Steve, Corwyn, Gennero, and John for posting messages about Nansulate.

Eli

Steve Catow writes:
Sustainability is also about making homes that last (with a little TLC and maintenance) rather than get torn down and replaced every 50 years - which is another catastrophic NA trend.

My comment:
Permanance is an illusion.  The problem with our buildings is that we ignore that fact such that when the building is too funky to deal with, the remains are a burden to the environment and the community.  There is a case to be made for planning buildings that allow for preserving the embodied energy of the materials for reconstruction in new shelters appropriate for the time when the building is no longer appropriate.

Per