[Greenbuilding] The role of PV in achieving NZE

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 16:45:49 CST 2011

Yes, oops, huge deal, 15 is purchased in PH (but you can't count PV) not including solar and interior gains. However it is not based on the same floor area. The basement is only counted as 60 per cent, the tank area and all walls are subtracted as are stairwells and such.
So for the riverdale house I would estimate PH would consider it not 234 but more like 150 so the heating demand would not be 33.7 but more like 50 plus. Hence with normal solar and internal gains it would be well over 15.
It occurs to me you could game the PH system and use solar hotwater to provide a good chunk of heat (like you do) rather than a PV run GSHP (which you can't count) and so you might actually make it under 15. For those NZE homes that don't use Solar water for space heat my previous analysis holds.

PS are there publically available reports recording actual performance of the house yet?

Sent from my BlackBerry®