[Greenbuilding] Cob as an alternative to spray foam sealant?

natural building naturalbuilding at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 28 15:04:11 CST 2011

Frank, shrinkage depends on a number of factors and can range from
between 5% all the way up to 50% for certain types of clay.
Furthermore, the amount of moisture in the mix will affect the degree
of shrinkage. That being said, as a 'rule-of-thumb' you can expect
about 10% shrinkage in the clay content of your mix. If the clay is
mixed with cellulose matter such as wood chips or straw, these will
swell and shrink independently depending on the moisture in the mix.

My suggestion would be to try using two or three coats / applications
with each successive layer filling the cracks and shrinkage that
occurs in the previous.

Regards
Steve

www.naturalbuildingsite.net