[Greenbuilding] renewing a cast iron tub

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Mon Jul 18 16:51:03 CDT 2011

And I was just reading up on powder coating for tubs! We can remove
the tub, and the thing then, I guess would be finding a coater with a
big enough booth.

The idea of powder coating is much more appealing than some of the
other finishes I've been reading about. (Laren: last I looked, which
was a while ago, automotive painting involved really nasty stuff, and
I don't think of car finishes as especially scratch resistant.  We
had the existing kitchen cabinets in our apartment refinished 15
years ago with auto lacquer by a friend -- rather than throwing them
out and buying new, we turned the cheapo almond laminate with oak
edge pull strips into hues of metallic blue -- it looks great but it
definitely scratches and wears over time.)

Anyone know much about the durability of powder coating for this
application? I just emailed a local tub spraying/reglazing company
that says it uses electrostatic or powder coating.

David

bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com