[Greenbuilding] neat idea

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 23 14:56:08 CDT 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:38:30 -0400, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> now, you're talking. An ancient style of roof in Western Europe (and
> perhaps
> beyond) I learned as "Moench & Nonne" or 'monk & nun'. The clay tiles

Years ago when the Vikings first landed in North America at Newfoundland,
they made those roofing tiles on-site by using their thighs as the form
over which the still-plastic clay was moulded to make the half-cylinder
tiles.

The half cylinders were actually tapered (as is the human thigh "form",
narrower at the knee end).

I forget which end of the taper was placed at the upper end on the lower
course (ie those which had the concave side facing the sky) but the upper
course (convex side up) had the taper reversed IIRC. Hey, it was centuries
ago. Eh ?

The tiles were fired on site as well, before installation. Lots of
evidence of tiles that didn't survive the firing process at the unearthed
settlement sites (probably due to PPP on the part of those Vikings. You
know those Barbarians, like bulls in a china shop-- can't be bothered with
planning)

				-- * --
On the subject of the heading, I have to confess that I thought that it
wasn't a "neat" idea at all. (risking the wrath of our ListMama for
disagreeing with her... but she's far away so ah ain't a-scared)

A sheet of corrugated steel would have a useful service life of 70 years
or more, finding re-use after re-use for several sets of users.

Punching crude holes (and I do mean crude ... you try cutting a neat,
round hole into corrugate steel with only rudimentary hand tools) into
those perfectly serviceable sheets of steel to accommodate a plastic
bottle (whose useful service life is a few years at most due to
degradation as a result of full exposure to UV) , and having to goop up
the steel-to-plastic junction with honking big gobs of gooey glop to
create a joint that is doomed to failure in the short term ... didn't
strike me as being as an idea I'd want to foist upon anyone.

I think that the "designers" would have been well advised to have spent a
bit more effort thinking the idea through a bit further (if at all)
acknowledging the fragility and short service life of the plastic bottle
and perhaps designing a properly flashed/sealed sleeve into which the
bottles would fit, allowing for easy removal and replacement of the
bottle, perhaps even replacing the plast-echhhh! bottle with a glass
bottle.

Even then, I don't think that I'd design the bottle lights so as to
require punching a hole through and ruining the sheets of steel. I think
that I'd look at maybe leaving either a gap at the ridge (if a peaked
roof) or simply leaving a gap between sheets of steel, and then devise
some way to use the water-filled bottles to weather-proof the gap.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom