[Greenbuilding] Counters

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Tue Jul 26 20:00:23 CDT 2011

Again, I ask the list for advice.  I am now at the point of installing
kitchen counters. I have had plywood on the counters (3/4 overlaid and
screwed to 3/8", as a substrate for tile, but have had warping (I'm on
the water). I don't trust it for tile. I've been told others in the area
have had this problem. They've generally solved it by installing
Arborite, something I am loathe to do.

That places me squarely in  a quandary.  I can't find reclaimed granite
in the size I need--the reclamation folks near me generally sell the
counters with the cabinets anyway. The budget will not allow for "new"
granite and I want to use something that screws the earth less than
other options (particularly given that I've already wasted some
otherwise good plywood).

I am the installer, so it must be pretty simple.

Any creative ideas out there?

Thanks!

Lynelle
--
Effective immediately, please use the following e-mail address to reach
me: lynelle at lahamilton.com