[Greenbuilding] New HVAC unit

Bob Klahn Home-NRG at dnaco.net
Mon Jun 6 21:03:32 CDT 2011

Bobbie,
Clearing backed email, or the last might've been longer.  If you can see
the nails in the old window trim, you can drive them through with a
thin,long nosed, punch.  Then run a sharp utility knife along the paint
of the wall/trim joints to make a weak seam, so the break will be clean,
not ragged with flakes.  Get two Hyde "scrape and pry" bars - very thin,
stiff steel prys with wide flared blades (also know as "hive tools"
among beekeepers).  Ease (drive gently) one in under the widest crack in
the seam and lift gently.  Once you get the joint to open, fit the
second next to the first to hold the gap open, than work them down the
joint, alternating the pry and shim tactic.  Most rim can be removed
without damage; it just takes patience and gentle prying.  A wide, thin
putty knife blade, between the surface you are using as fulcrum and the
pry will help avoid leaving tracks by spreading the pressure.

Make sure you limit the caulk/foam to the interior -except for places
where rain can obviously enter; the wall needs to be able to dry.
Remember to leave any water that gets behind the siding a gravity-
driven path out.

Bon Klahn