[Greenbuilding] Fence posts--gravel or concrete

William R Bloom wbloom at unm.edu
Mon May 9 17:06:25 CDT 2011

I have put in fences in both Northern Indiana and Michigan
and never went below 4'.  The foot area of a fence post
should not receive that much thrust from frost.  The fence
sections I installed were 6' tall x 8' wide calling for
posts 8' on center.  I used an 8' post buried 2 1/2 to 3'
deep with the head of the post below the top of the fence.
 I used what the previous responder mentioned, gravel in
the base and a collar of concrete at the top.  If you
trowel the concrete to slope away from the post, this
would prevent water from puddling at the base of the fence
post causing a quicker rot.

Bill