[Greenbuilding] Humidity between multiple windows

nick pine nick at early.com
Wed May 11 08:13:22 CDT 2011

Bob Klahn <Home-NRG at dnaco.net> wrote:

>If you have access to a blower door, you could build a frame that would
>just enclose the window, seal a cap on it with a hose barb for the pressure
>gauge hose.  Pressurize the house, with relation to the outside air
>pressure, to a benchmark...  Measure the pressure difference between the
>house pressure and the pressure within your enclosure.

It seems simpler to drill a small hole in the storm window frame and push a
manometer tube into the hole, then measure the pressure in the
window-to-storm-window cavity. If it's 0 Pa outdoors and -10 Pa in the
cavity and -50 Pa inside the house, we might say "the innermost window is
five times tighter than the outer."

But is -10 Pa the right number above? How high can we make this number, and
still avoid condensation on the inside of a 4'-tall U1 storm window over a
U0.5 house window, if the house is 70 F at 50% RH and the outdoor temp is 30
F with a 0.0025 humidity ratio on an average January day in Phila?

In a 2-story house, I guess this only applies to upstairs windows with
outward air leakage, vs downstairs windows with inward air leakage.

Nick