[Greenbuilding] Ask Pablo: Will a "Water-Saving" Hot Water Recirculation Pump Really Save Me Money?

natural building naturalbuilding at shaw.ca
Tue May 17 09:41:44 CDT 2011

Pablo's calculations do not seem to include any insulation on the hot-water supply lines, nor do they account for recirc pumps that have timers and aquastats which are available in any reasonable $200 model (Grundfos for instance). Set up properly, this means that the pump is not circulating water during the night or at low-use times of the day which would dramatically reduce heat-loss. He also implies that the pipes are located in un-conditioned space at an average of 52 degrees F. I would suggest this is unrealistic.

That being said, his underlying argument that they use more energy than they save in water is probably true. But not nearly as extreme as he makes out IMHO.

Regards,
Steve Satow

www.naturalbuildingsite.net
naturalbuilding at shaw.ca