[Greenbuilding] Exterior insulation retrofit

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Tue May 17 10:26:26 CDT 2011

EIFS is fundamentally different than siding or brick or stucco over insulation, which is why I think it was pointed out.
EIFS is not stucco.  Stucco is a cement-bonded mineral aggregate that IS very impact resistant and fire resistant. EIFS are almost all polymer-bonded glass-mesh reinforced thin coatings, a completely different animal.
EIFS is very good at managing water if done right, that is, using a full water control layer under the foam, and all joints drained.
It does not "trap moisture" anymore than brick or clapboard does if you dont drain under the windows, dont use a layer of building paper.

EIFS gets a bad rap because of bad systems and installation done in the late 80s and early 90s over OSB and paper-faced gypsum.  Fully-drained, two stage joints, secondary water barriers have been available from all the manufacturers for quite some time, and these system are working fine, standing the test of time. There has never been a problem with EIFS installed over old masonry buildings, like apartment buildings that need retrofit.