[Greenbuilding] low flow shower heads

Richard Garbary richard6 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 10:45:23 CDT 2011

Back in 1985 (til 1996) I lived in a low-rise building with six apartments
and one office in downtown Toronto. It was common to run out of hot water. I
asked the owner if I could replace the shower heads with 2.5 gal. fixtures
and low flow aerators for the all the taps. Total investment was under $100.
We never ran out of hot water again. A few years later the water heater
started to leak. The gas company recommended that 2 100 gallon water heaters
replace the single 40 gallon tank. I told the owner not to go with their
recommendation; he sided with me. I did flow rate tests on the replaced
shower heads. They ranged from a low of 4 gal/min to 6 gal/min. It was an
incredible economic benefit for the landlord in water, energy and
infrastructure savings.