[Greenbuilding] Photovoltaic Life Expectancy

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Fri May 20 10:17:18 CDT 2011

I did some research on this fifteen years ago. The 'will never pay itself
back' claim is I think not generally sound. The fondness for using lots of
aluminum in the frames and support structures does weigh heavily in the
equation, however. I think a few years to pay back the energy is probably
much closer to the truth. But it does make a difference whether you're
including just the panels, or the rest of the materials/structure that
usually accompanies an installation. When I lived off grid and had PV panels
I used wood frames. Worked fine.

Reuben Deumling