[Greenbuilding] Photovoltaic Life Expectancy

Haudy Kazemi kaze0010 at umn.edu
Fri May 20 20:51:07 CDT 2011

For PV critics, a comparison to corn-based ethanol production or oil
sands extraction might be worthwhile to see if their energy content is
greater than their energy cost of production.  The earliest low
efficiency PV panels may have had net energy losses, and they definitely
had net economic losses compared to other options available to most
users.  This did not negate their value to the earliest adopters in
space or in remote applications where conventional energy sources were
unavailable.

Although these are fuels, not energy collection devices, you can make a
comparison between the two as follows:

1.) energy content of a fuel (e.g. 36 kwh per gallon of gasoline) vs
energy collected over the working lifespan of an energy collection
device (e.g. 10000 kwh per 200 watt PV panel over 30 year lifespan at
~4.6 sun-hours per day)

2.) energy cost of production of that unit of fuel vs. embodied energy
of the energy collection device

If supporting equipment (pumps, motors, wire, engines, racks, chassis,
etc.) is to be accounted for, make sure the appropriate items are
applied to both fuel production and to energy collection device production.

Keep in mind that all energy conversion processes lose some energy.
Also, some forms of energy are more valuable than others.  The differing
values can make it worthwhile to convert between forms even at net
energy losses.

Finally, we humans do many things that do not have an energy payback:
war, vacation, demolition of still usable buildings, frequent
electronics upgrades, keeping up with the Joneses, etc. simply because
we want to do them and because we get some other benefit from them other
than additional energy.  As long as we are able to keep our net energy
positive, we can afford to splurge on other energy losers.  Comparisons
to income, non-discretionary and discretionary spending can be made.
What we don't want to do is to go broke, as I doubt the energy
bankruptcy/foreclosure process is pleasant.