[Greenbuilding] Exterior insulation retrofit

jfstraube jfstraube at gmail.com
Mon May 23 10:21:39 CDT 2011

Hiya John
Liquid applied membranes, at least the ones out there, are all significantly superior to mechanically attached sheet membranes.
They can be applied to plywood or non-paper-faced gypsum (the paper facing was of course the biggest problem, not the gypsum).
They all require joints to be treated with a tape of special mastic before roller/spray applying the membrane.
I attach two photos of non-EIFS systems, but all the EIFS folks have their own as well.
Even Tyvek now has a fluid applied air and warter barrier as part of its family.
CCMC has tested these systems and included the testing of movements and drainage. I have tested several for drainage, and water resistance.
In every way, except cost (they are more) and weather-sensitivity during construction (they need to cure before it rains), these fluid membranes are superior in performance, often significantly.

I know of a lot of work done at BRANZ, and have collaborated with them on their ventilated wall research, but I have not seen them tackle the heat loss question yet.  Any idea where this 20% (which seems very high) comes from? Could not find it by googling.