[Greenbuilding] Exterior insulation retrofit

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Mon May 23 12:10:00 CDT 2011

Hi John
The original reference was from a current NZ eifs manuf spec. Sheet (BRANZ
appraised) which required a .45 factor for derating anything outboard of the
sheathing. The standard was NZS 4214 which is pretty old - here is an info
sheet from BRANZ
http://www.branz.co.nz/cms_show_download.php?id=6d94af4d279466880e748b2d382c
7998e6fde45b

I don't know how the current standard has changed as I couldn't access any
free versions of it but assume the drating is still in effect.

As for the liquid membrane we will be  using it. I'm pretty curious and the
ext walls are all engineered shear walls so movement has been limited. To be
honest the product application specifications I think put it in the grey
area of overall credibility. Legally I think the liability is so diffused
that the product cost is probably more related to managing risk than
reality.