[Greenbuilding] Exterior insulation retrofit

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:50:06 CDT 2011

That cavity is 20 mm wide!  That is an insane width for installation behind the EPS in an EIFS wall.
Products are considered to have a big cavity when they are 3 mm wide.  most are in the 1 mm wide.
A 20 mm cavity will let a lot of air to flow through it, especially if vented at the top and bottom and then I would reduce the R-value by MORE than 50%.
But for the Sto, Dryvit, Synergy etc products on the market, the gap is just for drainage, not for ventilation.