[Greenbuilding] Exterior insulation retrofit

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Mon May 23 18:45:08 CDT 2011

All the eifs systems I've seen marketed for Canada that are adhered provide
either a 10mm grooved insulation board (and make a point of advertising the
fact) or use the notched trowel or ribbon method. Trowel or ribbon size is
generally specified as 3/8 to 1/2 and even knocked down the end gap will
still be 6mm or greater. So 'would' or 'should' aside that is pretty well
how eps boards are going up on buildings and how people are being trained
(however sensibly). I'm also seeing mechanically adhered systems over a 10mm
stock drainmat. That is about it for standard practice that I am aware of.