[Greenbuilding] Exterior insulation retrofit

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Mon May 23 19:08:30 CDT 2011

10 mm grooves is not the same as 10 m continuous.  A rough approximation of the equivalency is the area of the gap. So a 10 x 10 gap every 100 mm would be equal to 1 mm. In reality, the flow is lower than this.
We measured Dryvit and Sto ribbon systems and did not find gaps of over 3 mm.  And when tested for airflow, they were much smaller. Equivalent to 1-2 mm.  See attached graph. Wall 1 is the standard dryvit, Wall 4 is grooved insulation. Test was pressure vs flow and then correlated to equivalent wide gap.
So the two market leaders are testing and and certifying systems of this type.  Could be you are seeing something else, but I deal directly with the people who are in charge of technical development for these systems and they dont think they are installing larger gaps.

The drainmat solution I am aware of and this is a bit of problem. This was all driven by the 10 mm drained and ventilated gap developed for siding and stucco.

In short, I would not use insulation over large gaps, like 6 or 10 mm, and sure would not try to figure out the derating: they would depend too much on wind gusts, exposure etc.
If the wind hits the building just so, a gap of 10 mm vented top and bottom can result in massive flow, with derating of insulation of something like 90%.  Research results are clear for these types of systems.
It is for the drained systems with small gaps that the question remains, is the derate 3% or 10%.