[Greenbuilding] carbon capture and transformation

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 12:38:55 CDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM, John Daglish <johndaglish at free.fr> wrote:

> This is not an abatement process for the existing energy
> infrastructure of fossil fuel power plants.
>
> Rather it is part of an energy infrastructure of the future which is 100%
> renewable.

I like the general thrust here. But the devil may be in the details.
Not using fossil energy in the first place is almost always going to be
cheaper, and have other salutary implications, than finding a substitute
non-fossil energy carrier. I say let's shoot for 80 or 90% less energy
consumption, and use renewables wisely to meet the remaining 10%. Which
renewables, and in what combinations remains to be seen, but if we could
ramp down our fossil fuel consumption by 90%, the CO2 produced from those
combustion processes would also be reduced. If there were a way to use the
CO2 to synthesize methane.... perhaps this could work. I'm thinking that
the CO2 isn't currently the limiting factor, but I'm probably missing
something.