[Greenbuilding] carbon capture and transformation

John Daglish johndaglish at free.fr
Tue Nov 1 17:27:27 CDT 2011

Bonjour Corwyn,

It is not perpetual motion.

It is not even that energy efficient at around 50% but it is a
practical means of stockage of surplus renewable energy in the form of
methane which can be used as make up or peaking power when needed. A
natural gas grid for stockage exists in many countries allready.

If the CO2 is extracted and used to make methane we have a low carbon
energy cycle.

Renewable energy is not easily stored and hydrogen storage for example
faces a number of problems such as stockage, long
term reliability of fuel stacks, cost, scalability, etc.

Rather this renewable energy power methane is a part of an energy infrastructure
of the future which is 100% renewable. It is based on efficiency including the
smart grid and local power generation chp (combined heat and power),
low energy buildings, etc., renewables (wind,
solar photovoltaic and thermal, hydro, river and ocean current, tidal,
geothermal natural or deep hot rock,...) and low carbon renewable biomass (direct
combustion, biogas, methanisation,...) cycles.

Firstly we minimise energy use by using it efficiently in the first
instance, we can use 30% less energy fairly easily, buildings being a
relatively easy target. Next you maximise
the direct renewable energy use in the electrical grid with the
smart grid which probably would include direct hydrogen use in fuel
cells (combined heat and power) for small scale local use to minimise
electrical grid losses.

Only after the most efficient electrical renewable energy stockage
systems (such as pumped hydro electric 70%, compressed air storage,
perhaps future chemical "batteries",...)  are full or there is
insufficient reserves would methane stockage be used.

Renewable biomass would be extensively (and ecologically) be used.

They have simulated hourly demand looking at how to create a 100% renewable energy system.

If you look at the "Bioenergy and renewable power methane in integrated 100% renewable
energy systems"  Fig 6.2.1 p174/230
http://www.uni-kassel.de/upress/online/frei/978-3-89958-798-2.volltext.frei.pdf
you will see that 5GW of renewable power methane (RPM) plant (the yellow hatched area
below the 0GW line) using the surplus electrical renewable energy is made during
one week in February 2050 for example.

Cordialement

--
John DAGLISH