[Greenbuilding] tung oil

Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn info at ecobrooklyn.com
Thu Nov 3 09:57:27 PDT 2011


Thanks Steve. That is interesting.

Gennaro Brooks-Church
347-244-3016
Sent from my phone
On Nov 3, 2011 12:47 PM, "natural building" <naturalbuilding at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hey Gennaro,
>
> I've never used Tung Oil myself, but talking recently with another
> woodworker who uses it a lot he explained that you need to build up
> multiple layers of TO to get the shiny finish, (up to seven layers on wood)
> and once you do, it is very tough and resilient.
>
> It is only matte as long as it is being absorbed. Once it has sealed, any
> additional layers oxidize on the surface and can be highly polished.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve.
>
> Steve Satow
>
> www.naturalbuildingsite.net
> naturalbuilding at shaw.ca
>
> On 2011-11-03, at 9:34 AM, Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn wrote:
>
> Interesting. My experience is tung is matte. Maybe it was the wood
>
> Gennaro Brooks-Church
> Director, Eco Brooklyn Inc.
> Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA
> www.EcoBrooklyn.com
> 22 2nd St; Brooklyn, NY 11231
>
>
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Joe Killian <kaa-ajk at sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> **
>> Don't know about mixing with citrus or linseed, but I do know that Tung
>> Oil itself gives a shinny finish like a varnish, not at all like an oil
>> finish (discovered to my dismay after accepting an offer to refinish a good
>> coffee table with Tung Oil).
>>
>>   Joe
>>
>>
>> On 11/3/2011 8:10 AM, Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I'm interested in your experience with mixing tung oil, citrus solvent
>> and linseed oil for floors. My experience is that linseed leaves more of a
>> shinny coating which sort of replicates typical varnish. Does anyone have
>> suggestions on floor applications? Just tung and citrus? Or is putting a
>> little linseed better?
>> Thanks!
>> Gennaro Brooks-Church
>> Director, Eco Brooklyn Inc.
>> Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA
>> www.EcoBrooklyn.com
>> 22 2nd St; Brooklyn, NY 11231
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Greenbuilding mailing list
>> to Send a Message to the list, use the email addressGreenbuilding at bioenergylists.org
>>
>> to UNSUBSCRIBE or Change your List Settings use the web pagehttp://lists.bioenergylists.org/mailman/listinfo/greenbuilding_lists.bioenergylists.org
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Greenbuilding mailing list
>> to Send a Message to the list, use the email address
>> Greenbuilding at bioenergylists.org
>>
>> to UNSUBSCRIBE or Change your List Settings use the web page
>>
>> http://lists.bioenergylists.org/mailman/listinfo/greenbuilding_lists.bioenergylists.org
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Greenbuilding mailing list
> to Send a Message to the list, use the email address
> Greenbuilding at bioenergylists.org
>
> to UNSUBSCRIBE or Change your List Settings use the web page
>
> http://lists.bioenergylists.org/mailman/listinfo/greenbuilding_lists.bioenergylists.org
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Greenbuilding mailing list
> to Send a Message to the list, use the email address
> Greenbuilding at bioenergylists.org
>
> to UNSUBSCRIBE or Change your List Settings use the web page
>
> http://lists.bioenergylists.org/mailman/listinfo/greenbuilding_lists.bioenergylists.org
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bioenergylists.org/pipermail/greenbuilding_lists.bioenergylists.org/attachments/20111103/4721adfe/attachment.html>


More information about the Greenbuilding mailing list