[Greenbuilding] tung oil

Clarke Olsen colsen at fairpoint.net
Thu Nov 3 14:33:54 CDT 2011

You need to cut oil with a solvent, thin it to penetrate and harden (dry). I used to favor Linseed oil for bringing out the red in cherry,
but having seen mold grow on some of my outdoor applications, I'm now using Tung, thinned with maybe 1/4 - 1/3 turpentine.
Citrus solvents should work fine too. It does rankle that linseed and especially tung cost more then extra virgin.
Clarke Olsen
373 route 203
Spencertown, NY 12165
USA