[Greenbuilding] Alternatives to Solarhart Thermosyphon Tanks

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Fri Nov 4 18:59:19 CDT 2011

Damn right.

Indeed, it is fair to say that the Solarhart system is a triumph of
salesmanship over the laws of physics.

Solahart do have some patented hocus-pocus to promote horizontal
thermosyphon but they are really all about is a simple package that is fairy
easily retrofitted by spreading the tank load over several rafters.

Solarhart do make split systems but I believe they all use vertical tanks on
the ground and, somewhat ironically, I have never seen or heard of one of
their horizonal tanks in the roof.

Further to this, I think it is becoming apparent that a little bit of
thermosyphon is not necessarily better than none, and you don't see so many
horizontal tanks being installed these days. I understand they don't attract
as much rebate as tanks on the ground and, as plumbers now routinely work
with solar, their installation advantage isn't as attractive as it used to
be.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW