[Greenbuilding] Alternatives to Solarhart Thermosyphon Tanks

Antonioli Dan solardan26 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 20:01:56 CDT 2011

I've seen quite a few horizontal tank thermosyphon systems over the years, and they make perfect sense to me. Granted, they're big and ugly on the roof, but they have no pumps and last a very long time.

For my application, I'm currently using an open loop Solarhart tank for an outdoor solar shower on my rural property. It's solar only, no electricity, gas, or back-up and works like a charm.

 Two weeks ago when the weather was grand and the warm sunny days of late Fall just didn't seem like they would even end....the nighttime temperature dropped to 29 degrees and one of the panels burst. When I'm on the land and I know there's a good chance of freezing/frost, I isolate the tank and manually drain the panels. But the latest frost caught me by surprise, and I've decided the time has come to invest in a closed loop system. I was seriously bummed out when the sun shined on the panels last week and the temperatures were close to 80 and I couldn't take a solar shower!!!

There are plenty of closed-loop solar storage tanks on the market, but I've yet to see a horizontal one. Solarhart tanks run about $2,100 and they all have the back-up heaters in them. I don't need a back-up heater for the outdoor solar shower. I'd like to think that there's a horizontal closed loop solar tank out there. If not, I'll make one!

Dan Antonioli