[Greenbuilding] adding borates?

Benjamin Pratt benjamin.g.pratt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 09:19:16 CDT 2011

I have a couple of window frames in my house that were finished with
clear polyurethane. Every winter the condensation causes fuzzy mold to
grow and some of the wood had turned black. I'm thinking of sanding
those parts and touching them up. Can I add borates to the poly to
keep the mold from growing again? I do have some boric acid and borax.
Will either of these work?
  I think paint stores sell additives that may work--and I think some
of these contain zinc oxides. But i'm not sure if borates would be
better, cheaper, easier, etc.
Ben