[Greenbuilding] Alternatives to Solarhart Thermosyphon Tanks

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Sun Nov 6 19:14:33 CST 2011

Yes, it occurred to me later that, if there was a horizontal tank in the
roof, who would know? Nonetheless. I have had a look at their site and there
is no evidence of it being offered round here but I imagine it wouldn't be
hard to modify the standard package for that purpose, and that may indeed be
what they do in Europe.

I guess there wouldn't be too many cases where this would be practical,
which may explain why it doesn't get mentioned around here. In order to get
the internal tank higher than the collector, you would need a large roof, a
steep roof, or both. There could be all sorts of considerations around this,
not the least being local building regulations whereby the allowable
envelope is better used for housing people than water, and ultimately it
could be simpler, cheaper, and more efficient to use a tank on the ground
and a pump.

The Swiss development sounds a good move. It occurred to me years ago that
that having two tanks to ensure that there was always/usually a small supply
of very hot water could be the way to go in countries with foul weather. I
imagine it wouldn't be hard to do with pumped closed loop systems but, at
the time, I didn't think they were a good idea. Now, everybody's doing it.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW