[Greenbuilding] National Conversation on Public Health and Chemical Exposures.

Racheli Gai racheli at sonoracohousing.com
Sat Nov 5 10:19:55 CDT 2011

An important article, IMO.
Is it reasonable to feel cautiously hopeful?
Racheli.

http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1289%2Fehp.119-a484
Are We on the Same Page? Action Agenda of the National Conversation on Public Health and Chemical Exposures
Valerie J. Brown
Valerie J. Brown, based in Oregon, has written for EHP since 1996. In 2009 she won a Society of Environmental Journalists’ Outstanding Explanatory Reporting award for her writing on epigenetics.

"The first principle of public health is primary prevention—that is, avoiding a harmful exposure or injury altogether rather than treating resulting problems afterward. This is a variant of the precautionary principle7 and dovetails with green chemistry and the substitution of alternative chemicals in manufacturing and consumer goods, both of which the Action Agenda endorses."

"Whether or not laws change in the short term, the intent of the National Conversation is resonating throughout the community of interests engaged with chemicals and health and is neatly summarized in the Action Agenda as follows: “Embedded in each recommendation is the fundamental call to make primary prevention the cornerstone of every decision relevant to chemicals and public health so that we can all share in a just and healthy future.”