[Greenbuilding] Fwd: energy savings myths

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 14:59:50 CST 2011

Far more interesting (and relevant) lists could be drawn up.

The ones you linked to strike me as mostly esoteric/wonky and in some cases
irrelevant or mistaken. The ones I'm interested in have much broader
significance when it comes to energy consumption/reduction, popular
understanding of the issue, and potential impact.
A few below just off the top of my head in no particular order:

Myth #1 energy efficiency programs lead to reductions in energy consumption
that are usefully invoked in relation to climate change policy goals

Myth #2 subsidies for fossil fuel burning technologies (natural gas
furnaces, hybrid cars, etc.) are cost effective climate change (or energy
reduction) strategies

Myth #3 most residential energy consumption in a given town/climate
zone/block varies only slightly about the mean; in other words there is
some level of *normal *energy consumption, and mine is probably pretty
close to that.

Myth #4 electrification of technologies or subsystems hitherto powered by
fossil fuels directly (cars, houses, etc.) will yield climate dividends.

Myth #5 the experts will figure this stuff out for us and will tell us what
we need to do/buy to make it right again (not saying that the public
necessarily believes this as much as energy experts have too often framed
the issue that way)