[Greenbuilding] energy and power terms

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Sun Nov 20 21:14:37 CST 2011

In the article, the analogy they're making is that watts are a
measure of a flow rate, vs the amount used (kWhm or, in the analogy,
miles). Works for me.

Water flow rates, of course, are the more commonly cited analogy. So
fuel flow could work, too (for example, 10 gallons per hour, then
times the number of hours to get the amount), but a fuel gauge does
not show the flow rate. A speedometer does. (The fuel gauge shows
energy remaining, or the opposite of energy used.) And it's more
tangible for most -- with the exception of planes (and boats?), we
generally think of fuel flow in terms of mpg (is the metric
equivalent kpl?), not gph.

The article also says, btw, that watts are comparable to horsepower.
But I do find their explanation before that rather confusing: "A
laborer working through the day will put out 75 watts of power. A
medium-sized car might consume 100,000 watts." Those sound like
energy totals, not flows.

David

At 06:57 PM 11/20/2011, Nick Pyner wrote:
>I don't think that's a good analogy at all, and probably just adds
>to the confusion. If you must use automotive terms, I submit it
>might be better to use the fuel gauge than the speedo. Or how about
>the engine? A watt is exactly like a horsepower, just 3/4 the size,
>and most of the world uses just that.
>

>Nick Pyner
>
>Dee Why   NSW

David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
DAVID BERGMAN ARCHITECT / FIRE & WATER LIGHTING + FURNITURE
architecture . interiors . ecodesign . lighting . furniture
bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
241 Eldridge Street #3R, New York, NY 10002
t 212 475 3106    f 212 677 7291