[Greenbuilding] HDD and how they are calculated (daily avg. vs hourly avg)

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Mon Nov 21 17:54:52 CST 2011

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 17:47:34 -0500, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 8:46 AM, RT <Archilogic at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>>  "negijiboo".
>

> or not. I did as you did, and depending on the distribution of the
> temperature you can have the HDD be several degrees off. Maybe I'm being
> way too precise here,

I know nuttin' about nuttin' on this so I'm just talking out of my hat
really but I would venture that the importance of the degree of precision
would depend upon what you are intending to do with the HDD/yr figure.

Me ?

I think "good enough for horse shoes and hand grenades" type precision is
sufficient if using the HDD/yr figure in calculations for a particular
location when trying to make decisions during the design process of a
building for normal occupancies.

Why ? Because weather is so variable in this age of climate change that
what happened over the course of even just the past 2 years is no
indication of what is likely to happen this coming year.

In making design decisions, I would design for the worst conditions that
have occurred and are likely to occur in the future (future being a best
guess, using one's judgement) and include a factor of safety. Not an
unreasonable approach given that for structural engineering design (Limit
States Design), one allows a 25%

ie If the precise-as-the diameter-of-a-gnat's-peach-fuzz HDD/yr
calculations result in a higher HDD/yr figure, then use that one in your
calculations. If the horse shoes and hand grenades figure is higher, use
that one.

In the end, I doubt that it would make much difference in the outcome of a
design decision... or at least I can't think of any example of where it
might matter.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom