[Greenbuilding] Microwaved water

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Oct 2 10:29:51 CDT 2011

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:02:20 -0400, John Daglish <johndaglish at online.fr>
wrote:

> well referenced web site from a scientist

Nyeh! Scientists.

Bunch of quirky characters who dress up white robes (with plast-eccchhh!
chest pocket protector) to
practice their obscure religion in artificially-lit,
mechanically-ventilated, man-made concrete caverns ...
performing their rituals huddled over a plethora of very pricey unearthly,
metal-encased objects of worship that are encrusted with all manner of
glowing/blinking lights, knobs, doohickeys and knerpwhistles, and whose
ritual chants are in a mysterious language drawn from scriptures known as
"Periodic Table","Calculus" etc.

Although they may appear to be gentle and harmless, these "Scientists" are
capable of powerful weaving magical spells that have, in the last century,
wreaked monstrous catastrophes on this planet unequalled by the previous
entirety of human history on this planet.

But (a little more) seriously ...

I'm with Mike and Buddha on this matter of microwaved water and its
supposed characteristic of killing plants that have been watered with it.

I'd venture that there is much of the same fear-based belief borne of
simple-minded ignorance that afflicted many of the Christian faith during
the Dark Ages (ie:"microwaved water unsafe" camp) ... and on the other
side of the argument (ie: "Microwaved water harmless" camp) much of the
same myopic smugness that characterises many believers of Modern Science
as the absolute truth... a blind faith which has come back to bite them in
the arse, time and again. (see: DDT, Monsanto, nuclear fission, Dow
Chemical, far too much of the product from the pharmaceutical industry etc)

Any "religion" or school of belief is just that... an attempt at an
understanding of how the universe around us works. To the believers of the
various "religions" their interpretation of reality is just as valid to
them (if not moreso) than  that of others. (You try telling a Republican
 from one of the JesusLand states in the USA that their prophets (ie The
Shrub, Ms. Palin ) are a few bricks short of a load.)

I have no qualms about eating food or drinking water that was heated in a
microwave oven and have utilised them regularly on a daily basis for
almost three decades with not discernable ill-effect.

However, I can also accept that under special circumstances (ie someone in
a laboratory trying to prove a thesis that microwaved water can kill
plants) it might be possible to kill plants using water that had been
boiled in a microwave IFF that water had been repeatedly heated to the
point where the all of dissolved minerals were
oxidised and subsequently precipitated out of solution leaving only pure
water behind.

  (ie Pure water  = water devoid of all minerals, organics, dissolved gases
) = one of the most powerful solvents on Earth).

Even then, I suspect that it would have to be a prolongued period of
feeding the plants only pure water.

But then on the other side of the coin, it'd also possible to kill plants
using "natural" groundwater water which is excessively alkaline or acidic.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom