[Greenbuilding] your favorite battery charger (AA, AAA, etc.)?

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Sat Oct 8 07:49:00 CDT 2011

Reuben,

I've been using an UltraLast charger, model number ULCC4H.
It has settings for NI-CD and NI-MH, and will charge AA, AAA, C, D, and
9V batteries.

I can't compare it in quickness to other chargers, though four AAA can
take between six and ten hours, while two 9V batteries seem to take 12
to 24 hours.

I've had it about five years, and it replaced a ten year old Radio Shack
charger at that time, when I switched to NI-MH batteries.
The charger doesn't feel like it gives off any heat while charging.
This, to me, indicates a level of efficiency better than the old Radio
Shack charger, which was noticeably warm while in use.  And efficiency
is an issue for us, as we live off-grid.

I've "experimented" with a charger/solar PV combo.  Fine if you have
duplicate sets of all batteries, so as to always have a set fully
charged and waiting. I admit that I'm not that well organized. So
it'sawkward, when your flashlight goes dead, just at dusk.

Here's a link. However, I don't see our model on that page.  What are
listed on that page are chargers for AA and AAA.

http://www.ultralastgreen.com/products/chargers

Frank

--
Frank Tettemer