[Greenbuilding] passive house in NY

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 20:09:29 CDT 2011

Well, I don't know.
I just figured that if someone spends as much money as that house appears to
have cost on a *Passive House* that *exceeds the standards* and still ends
up using about as much as my family uses in  my crummy shack then that
seems, well, odd.
I of course know that the occupants' behaviors and habits are really
important to this calculation (something predictably elided in the article),
but still.
I want to think that a whiz-bang passive house we're led to believe is the
future (the article even said that I think) would do better, would use a
miniscule amount of fossil fuels.
The average annual kWh consumption in my zipcode in Portland in 2008 was
8,472kWh for SF houses, and 3,867 kWh for MF dwellings. But the range
includes plenty below 1,000 kWh/yr, and those are mostly Multi Family
dwellings.