[Greenbuilding] Passivhaus in NY

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 27 23:47:37 CDT 2011

This home is heated by oil, as is true of 80 per cent of the homes in
this province (there is no natural gas service to speak of so the two
main choices are oil and electricity).  At current prices, $7,850.00
will buy you roughly 7,500 litres.  Assuming an AFUE of 82 per cent, you
net approximately 8.8 kWh(e) of heat per litre, so if this home is
equipped with a reasonably efficient boiler and indirect water heater,
total space heating and domestic hot water demand would be in the range
of 66,000 kWh/year.

The previous owners of our home consumed some 5,700 litres of fuel oil
and 14,600 kWh of electricity in the year prior to our purchase.  I've
since eliminated almost all of our fuel oil requirements (we still
consume between 50 and 75 litres a year for backup heat and an equal
amount of propane for our tumble dryer and BBQ) and our electricity
usage is a little less than 11,000 kWh per annum and falling.

Cheers,
Paul

|---- Steve (KZ6LSD)