[Greenbuilding] Heat from dryers

elitalking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Thu Sep 1 09:14:08 CDT 2011

This is the reason that on my recent renovation installing a new continuous
thermal barrier, I located the dryer outside.  Like you, we are a 2 person
household with 2 or 3 dryer loads per week.  When going over the house with
a new thermal barrier, I notice the holes that are systemic such as dryer
vent.  I choose to put dryer on the porch to eliminate this hole that looses
conditioned air 24/7. Yeah, I loose the electric heat during operation when
it is a benefit in the winter and additional infiltration air through the
door when going in and out of conditioned house.  However, the suction,
negative pressure for typical indoor installation results in an increase
infiltration of increase of unconditioned air (cold air in winter, hot air
in summer).

Drying on the line is certainly the best environmental option.  I am simply
going through my 5 stages of mourning the loss of convienience.  Hanging
cloths up on a windy day certainly deals with the wrinkle stiffness issues.
I dry heaving cloth such as towels and jeans outside.  Yeah, they are stiff.
However, after wearing them they soften up and the wrinkles seem to go away.

And by the way, what about this ironing ritual.  If we could pitch the
eexpectation of wrinkle free appearance, how much less carbon would be
emitted.

Eli