[Greenbuilding] Quartz Infrared Heaters

elitalking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Fri Sep 23 18:12:25 CDT 2011

Thanks for replies to this issue.  My hunch is that their is no benefit to
this form of converting electricity into heat.  The final result if 100%
consumed unless the aparatus is carrying the heat from somewhere else.  This
looks like snake oil.

John Straub writes:
The possible advantage of radiant heat is that more of the 1 kW is directed
towards the person, eg, in the end we usually want to keep people warm, not
floors or desks.  So radiant heaters can be used to heat people more
directly. This is precisely the approach taken by a campfire on a cold
night.  The campfire is hopelessly too small to heat all the air, but the
radiation from the fire can heat the side of people that faces the fire.

My comment:
If you had multiple radiant lamps directed from the corners to the middle,
all sides of your body could recieve heat in a cold space for a short time,
avoiding the cost of heating up large mass.

Nick Pine writes:
How about a kotatsu http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotatsu or a 12 V
motorcycle vest to stay warm in a cold house?

My Comment:
Motorcycle vest works for the excentric.  I have used this in Winter witout
heat.   It is very different to be wearing a heat pad.  This will be the
technology that can be deployed in a hurry when people are confronted with
shortages.  A lower cost version is to simply wear a heat pad.
Eli