[Greenbuilding] Quartz Infrared Heaters

nick pine nick at early.com
Thu Sep 22 16:33:38 CDT 2011

"elitalking" <elitalking at rockbridge.net> writes:

>... in this device, the lamp is inside a box that includes a fan to
>distribute the heat convectively...  My guess is that a lamp is used to
>heat up copper plates and a fan blows this heat to deliver to space.

Multiple tubular lamps inside multiple copper tubes... a $300 version of a
$15 space heater that delivers the same amount of heat with the same
electrical power consumption. I'm just back from the PA Energy Fest. I
complained about Edenpure's misleading advertising last year ("Does not burn
or dry out house air like other space heaters!") I also complained about a
space heater that electrolysed water and then burned the H2 and O2 to
produce "Five times more heat than other space heaters!" It turned out the
guy who was selling these had a day job as a puppeteer :-) I was pleased to
see that these guys weren't a part of this year's Fest. Nor were the people
selling power factor correction capacitors for houses, altho one DIYer gave
a talk about his free energy device, citing Wilhelm Reich of orgone box
fame. When I spoke up and said it was bullshit, one audience member spoke up
and said "Isn't this supposed to be a brainstorming session, with no dumping
on ideas?" Others told me they were happy I spoke up.

How about a kotatsu http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotatsu or a 12 V
motorcycle vest to stay warm in a cold house?

A timber framer asked our "Ask the Renewable Engineer" table "How much
distributed weight will 24" deep x 12" wide x 30' long swing beams on 16'
centers support, if they are made from prime #1 doug fir with a 2400 psi max
fiber strength?" I said "128 pounds per square foot," but suggested he check
that with a civil vs electrical engineer :-) He had forgotten the simple
beam calcs he said he learned in 1974.

Nick