[Greenbuilding] Induction cooking

Leslie Moyer unschooler at lrec.org
Wed Sep 28 01:57:33 CDT 2011

You're right, of course. I realized this just after I logged off when I thought about my mother-in-law's "wedding cookware" that is heavy aluminum and over 60 years old. I guess I don't know what those cheap pots are made from that don't have the heat conduction disc in the bottom and don't work with induction.  It's 2:00 am and I'm too tired to care anymore tonight.  <g> ANYWAY, the point of the discussion was that it really doesn't take "special pans" to use induction burners.  It's true that not ALL pans work with induction burners, but why don't we instead say that you CAN use "special pans" to cook on electric or gas stoves?  If we wanted to make the switch (as a country), it wouldn't be difficult.  And thinking about this very small consumer change as a hurdle is one example of the ridiculous excuses we use not to make easy changes. Some environmental changes take behavior changes--this one only takes minor purchasing changes. Even Calphalon, for example--I know they would and could make changes to accommodate this consumer choice (induction) if there was a market for it.

--Leslie