[Greenbuilding] sealing plywood floor?

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Tue Apr 3 12:28:44 CDT 2012

Hi, Reuben--

To clarify what is being finished--I'm sure it's obvious, but the plywood should be exterior grade. Practically speaking, moisture won't be able to pass through the phenolic adhesive between the plys. Are the two layers free-floating over the sand? Is that OK--they won't move when there's traffic on them?

It seems like a hardwood would work better than a softwood like fir, costlier but might hold up to traffic better, especially on half-inch sheets. (I wonder if 5/8" might be worth it for extra stiffness?)

I'd suggest coating both sides and all edges with a water-resistant finish, while the plywood is dry. Have you looked at Miller's Evolution satin exterior paint? It's reasonably priced for its performance. Miller staff can help decide if a wood filler is needed. The satin finish would make it easier to clean.

Might be good to leave a little space between edges for expansion and to stagger the joints between the two layers, to slow any moisture from the sand layer.

Is that about what you already figured out? :^ )

Best,

Mike O'Brien